Amazon’s Alexa has been one of the greatest technical innovations of the decade. Selling over 100 million Alexa-enabled devices globally, this virtual assistant blew our minds with its extensive range of capabilities. Alexa, a virtual AI developed by Amazon, is capable of playing your favorite songs, asking you to search for a topic, read you a book, tell you what the weather is like, and even has its place in home automation. Amazon Alexa for PC also has been made available since late 2018. Most amazon products with Alexa can be activated by saying “Alexa”, and what you say after that has endless possibilities.
Developers at Amazon states that Alexa is stored on cloud servers. From there, Alexa is constantly improving its voice recognition and natural language understanding through machine learning. Hence, day by day, Alexa will keep getting better and better.
Here are some of the things Alexa can do:
- Narrate Kindle books.
- Track Amazon packages.
- Ordering food (Currently supported by Domino’s Pizza, Grubhub, Pizza Hut, Wingstop)
- Play your favorite music from Apple, Spotify, Audible, Pandora, etc.
- Keep you up to date with your favorite sports teams, whether it be MLS, NBA, UEFA, FA Cup, NHL, and so on.
- It allows you to send messages and make calls.
- Sends you severe weather alert warnings.
- Daily traffic updates and travel directions.
About Alexa App PC Version
As of late 2018, Amazon’s Alexa has been available on the Microsoft Store. You can ask Alexa to do anything that any standard Alexa-enabled device can do (i.e. the Amazon Echo), now from your PC. For example, you can ask Alexa to “read a book”, “turn off the lights” (if you have home automation set up), “what’s the weather like”, and much more. Sadly, Amazon has not added Echo device support for the Windows 10 app. However, I believe Alexa for PC is one of the best ways to have a control center for all your smart devices. I mean, just look at the vast amount of devices you can control from one place in the image below.
It also has a sleek user interface for its music player. Any music you play from Amazon Music will appear here, how this feature does require you to have an Amazon Music subscription.
There are some other amazing things Alexa for Windows 10 can do, for example, it can answer any location-based or weather-based questions. Moreover, it can store and notify scheduled appointments and research a specific topic. Despite large amounts of features and similarities to Alexa on Amazon Echo devices, Alexa for PC has some limitations.
What can’t Alexa for PC do? Yes, this amazing piece of intelligent software does have its drawbacks on PC. For example, you can’t ask Alexa to send text messages. Moreover, you can’t write an email, however, you can open your inbox. Another disadvantage is that you can’t change the wake word “Alexa” to another word like you can with Echo devices. Lastly, Alexa for PC cannot control Windows 10 as of yet. However, lucky for us, developers at Amazon are working on bringing this feature into the light, and I believe it will be available in the near future.
How to Download and Set Up Alexa for PC
In this section we’ll explain how to download and set up Alexa for your PC. Just follow the quick and easy instructions below:
- Visit Amazon’s Alexa for PC page.
- Click Download Now. You will be redirected to the download page. Now click on the ‘Get’ button.
- Alexa for Windows 10, will begin downloading, once done, run the setup to install the files.
- Open up Alexa and log in with your Amazon username and password.
- Click ‘Continue’ for the terms and conditions screen.
- Allow Alexa to access your microphone when asked to do so.
- Now you’ll be asked whether you want to enable hands-free mode. This will allow you to ask a question to Alexa without having to press the push-to-talk button. Select ‘Turn on Hands-Free’ if you wish to do so.
- Now all you have to do is say “Alexa” out loud and ask Alexa to perform the required task.
Please note, Alexa hands-free mode will constantly run in the background and also launch at startup. If you want to disable launch at startup, simply open up Task Manager and go to the startup tab. Then make sure ‘Alexa’ is disabled. If you ever feel the need to disable hands-free mode all you have to do is press the “hands-free” button next to the Alexa push-to-talk button.
FAQ On Amazon Alexa For PC
Here are some frequently asked questions about Alexa for PC and their answers.
1. Is the hands-free mode available on Windows 10?
Yes, it is.
2. Does Alexa come built-in with PC’s?
Alexa does come built-in with some computers, but not all. If you want to see the list of PC’s that has Alexa built-in check this Amazon link.
3. Is Alexa for PC available globally?
Not at the moment. Currently Alexa is available for PC in the US, UK, Germany and Japan. But don’t worry, Amazon has been working on adding more locations since 2019.
4. Can I control my PC with Amazon Alexa?
Sadly, Alexa cannot perform any PC-specific controls.
5. Is Spotify supported on Alexa for PC?
Unfortunately, the Alexa app for Windows 10 PC does not support some major music providers such as Apple Music or Spotify. However, you can use Amazon Music.
Amazon’s Alexa is an amazing AI that is used by millions across the globe. Although its PC version can perform most of Alexa’s routine tasks, it’s still in its developmental phase and lacks the support of some important apps and features. Hopefully, we’ll see more updates rolling in soon!