We’ve all made the irrational decision to block someone on Snapchat before. For example, remember that time your friend got on your nerves? Without thinking, you impulsively blocked them only to regret it moments later. Contrarily, blocking isn’t the product of something that always occurs between you and your friends. Instead, it could be that you found someone’s posts offensive or hurtful. Whatever had led you to block someone, you definitely feel contrite about it now and want to revert or unblock someone on Snapchat.
Well, worry no more! Unblocking someone is just as easy as blocking them. Just follow the steps in the section below and you’ll be well on your way to unblocking a friend or a user you were following. However, I know some of you may not want the person to know you had blocked them in the first place (especially if it’s a friend account you blocked). Unfortunately, this is not possible. Whenever you block and then unblock someone, you will have to re-add the person on Snapchat. Due to this, we’ve also included a section on re-adding a friend on Snapchat using different methods.
However, please note that when using these methods to re-add someone, your friend will be notified when you send a request, hence they will undoubtedly be hinted that you had blocked them in the first place. If this isn’t a concern, let’s get unblocking!
How To Unblock Someone on Snapchat
The unblocking process on Snapchat is fairly simple and easy to follow. Just go through the step-by-step instructions below to unblock someone on Snapchat.
- Open the Snapchat app from your device.
- Navigate to your profile (your profile page will have your snapcode displayed)
- In the top right-hand corner of the screen, you will see a gear-like icon. This is the settings gear, press it.
- Now, you will see a list of settings. Scroll down and select ‘Account Actions’.
- Under Account Actions, select ‘Blocked’.
- After selecting this button, a list of users you have blocked will appear.
- To unblock someone, press the ‘X’ next to their names. Select ‘Yes’ when asked, “Are you sure you want to unblock this Snapchatter?”
That’s all folks! Now you have successfully unblocked someone on Snapchat.
How Do I Re-Add Someone on Snapchat?
Now unblocking someone on Snapchat does not mean you are automatically their friend again. If this person you blocked was someone who had a public account and you only viewed their story, then it’s not necessary to re-add them. However, if this person you had blocked earlier was a friend of yours, they will still remain removed from your friend’s list. Unfortunately, there is no way to re-add your friend without letting them know you had removed them in the first place. Your friend will be notified when you send them a friend request.
A lot of people will try to make up excuses like “I un-friended you by accident”, but this is a blatant and obvious lie, hence we wouldn’t recommend it. It’s best you just own up to the mistake you made, speak to your friend and re-add them the correct way. In order to re-add someone on Snapchat, follow the steps below:
Method 1: Re-Add Someone Using Their Username
It’s more than likely that you have the username to your friend’s Snapchat account. Hence you can follow the steps below:
- Open the Snapchat app from your mobile device.
- Select the Snapchat ghost icon and press ‘Add Friends’
- Select ‘Add by Username’ and enter your friend’s username in the search bar.
- When their account pops up press the ‘+Add’ button.
Method 2: Re-Add Someone Using Snapcode
Maybe you’ve physically met up with the person you unblocked and want to add them. In this case, using a Snapcode is a viable option. A Snapcode is essentially a QR code that corresponds to a persons’ profile. Once you scan this code it will automatically send them a request to be your friend.
- Open the Snapchat from your device apps.
- Once inside the app, select the camera mode (as if you were about to take a snap)
- Ask your friend to open their Snapchat and open up their profile.
- Hold your camera over their Snapcode and press the capture button on your device’s camera for a few seconds.
- A notification will pop up and ask you to add this user. Tap ‘Add Friend’ to add the person to your friend’s list.
Please note, you don’t necessarily have to be with someone in order to add them via Snapcode. Instead, you can ask this person to send you a screenshot of their Snapcode. However, in that case, we’d recommend you save the trouble and follow Method 1 instead.
Now you have successfully unblocked and added someone to your friend’s list. It wasn’t so hard after all was it? We all make mistakes sometimes and act on irrational and impulsive decisions. Blocking someone and regretting it is probably the most common issues people face on social media platforms such as Snapchat. With a bit of reasoning and talking through with your friend, your social media relationship should be back on track.
However, sometimes blocking someone may have been the right decision, for example, if they may have posted offensive or derogatory posts that may have made you upset. In this case, it’s best you wipe this person out of your life. All in all, if you need help unblocking someone on Snapchat, keep this article handy.