Kik messenger is a text messaging app that gained most of its popularity through young teenagers. This app allows you to send regular messages, stickers, GIF files, and millions of emojis to choose from. Kik also has several pre-built bots, for example news sharing bots like CNN, or game bots that play tic-tac-toe with you. Like Snapchat, Kik also allows you to add friends by scanning a unique code, hence making friends on the go couldn’t be easier. Since 2015, there is no web counterpart to use Kik on PC directly.
Kik Messenger Features:
Check out the amazing features of Kik listed below:
- Integrated Web Browser: That’s right, whenever you want to open a link it can be opened directly inside Kik. No need to open up an external browser. The integrated browser also has its website layout optimized for Kik.
- Crisis Text Line: A truly amazing feature like no other is Kik’s partnership with Crisis Text Line. It’s not uncommon for young teenagers to feel emotionally distressed, have thoughts of self-harm and other mental concerns. To help these users out, Kik provides a non-profit, free 24/7 crisis support line via text. In fact, Kik has invested in over ten-million USD to provide safety and security to its users.
- Video Chatting: Kik has recently implemented a video chatting feature, and supports group calling as well.
- Bots: If you’re ever feeling bored and want to strike up a conversation or play some player vs. computer games, bots are there for you. Kik also allows your favorite brands to create bots, such as news channels, sports brands to share updates with you via a live text conversation.
- Stickers: There’s a library of hundreds if not thousands of stickers to choose from. Recently they added a whole new library of just animal stickers for users to express their emotions.
How To Download Kik On PC?
Kik has yet to add its PC support unlike other platforms such as Whatsapp that introduced its web counterpart in early 2015. However, there is a small workaround for this. You can use what is known as an emulator. An emulator basically emulates or virtualizes another system’s environment on your PC itself. Basically you can run Android OS from your desktop and access the Kik Messenger app from there. Hence, you’re ‘technically’ running Kik on your PC.
How To Download BlueStacks Emulator?
In this example, we’ll be using the BlueStacks Emulator. BlueStacks is a popular choice amongst gamers because it’s known to run games and high-performance Android applications fairly well on the PC. Before you go ahead and download BlueStacks its important to know whether your PC can handle a virtual machine running inside of it. If you have an old or low spec device then its important to make sure you meet the system requirements.
Minimum PC Requirments
- Windows 7 or later
- Intel or AMD Process
- At least 2GB RAM
- 5GB Disk Space available
- Updated graphics drivers
Recommended PC Requirments
- Windows 10
- Intel or AMD Multi-Core Processor
- 8GB RAM
- SSD (solid-state drive) Storage
- Updated graphics drivers
To download BlueStacks follow the instructions below:
- Download and Install BlueStacks.
How To Install Kik Messenger On BlueStacks
After installing BlueStacks, you now have a working Android virtual machine on your PC. From here, you can easily download Kik messenger as you would from a mobile device. Just follow the simple and easy instructions below:
- Open BlueStacks, and click on the Play Store on the home screen.
- When prompted to log-in to your Google Account, do so to proceed.
- In the Play Store search bar, search for Kik Messenger.
- Download and install Kik Messenger.
- Launch Kik Messenger from the Play Store or your home page.
Alternatives To Kik Messenger For PC
Instead of you going through all that trouble to use Kik Messenger on your PC, you can check out these alternatives below. They’re are all free and designed to run on PC. Maybe you won’t get all the special features that Kik has to offer, but you’ll be able to perform the standard messaging features.
1. WhatsApp Web
WhatsApp is already a popular mobile device app. But did you know about its compatible desktop version? All you have to do is visit the WhatsApp web site, then on your phone open WhatsApp. In the Settings, select WhatsApp web, and point your camera at the QR code shown on the desktop version when prompted to do so. This allows you to easily connect to WhatsApp web and experience all the features of WhatsApp mobile except for video-calling.
Although mostly used by the gaming community, Discord has an excellent user interface that makes joining group chats, calling friends, and chatting, very easy. It’s mostly popular for its excellent voice calling features and your ability to create ‘Channels’ that you and your friends can share. Moreover, if you’re a gamer, it’ll notify your friends which game you’re currently playing. You can download the software application or use it in your browser.
Skype is another great Kik messenger alternative that offers text messaging and video calling software that has been around for quite some time. In fact, it was released for PC before it began appearing on mobile devices. It supports HD video calling quality and you can add friends via their Skype username and send any sort of files across conversations. You can also add Skype credit to your account to make cheap calls domestically and internationally.
As you can see, installing Kik Messenger for PC is a rather simple process once you’ve got the emulator part down. The Kik alternatives provided are also a great choice, hassle-free and used by millions around the globe.